Monday, August 01, 2005

Wedding bells

I spent the weekend at my boyfriend's cousin's wedding. I've come to the conclusion that if the time comes, I can easily marry into this family. We arrived at 11:00 in the morning on Saturday and went to the pre-wedding reception at the groom's parents' house and the first thing people did was put a beer in my hand and then kiss me hello.

It's kind of funny, I was wearing a knee-length seersucker skirt, a red tank, red pumps, and a white cropped blazer (waist-length cropped, not, like, degenerate cropped), and I was really worried about the kosher-ness of wearing white to a wedding, even if it was in the afternoon. I was futzing with it in the hotel room before we got to the pre-reception and my boyfriend just rolled his eyes and put on his own blazer before mumbling about the heat and asking if it would be okay if he just wore his tie with a short-sleeved button up shirt.

"Sure," I said. "Why don't I get you some horn-rimmed glasses and a pocket protector?"

He stared at my for several seconds. "Uh... why?"

"Because you'll look like you work for NASA."

He laughed in that way where I know he wants me to think that he thinks I'm clever, but really he doesn't. He wore the blazer, though.

I don't know why I worried, though. I have an upbringing of attending Easter and Christmas services at the United Church, this was the first Catholic ceremony I have ever attended and I was incredibly nervous about what I was wearing. Turns out I shouldn't have worried. There were flip flops paired with ridiculous boho skirts (seriously, the madness needs to stop), polo shirts, I think I saw denim. It was very surreal standing outside after the church and seeing the bride in a little sea of white tulle and sequins and the groom in his tuxedo, and their parents all very formally dressed standing with a bunch of people who kind of looked like they were going to a picnic.

That said, even though I was being internally snarky at the beginning of the night, I eventually met most of the people in the clothing I disliked, and 95% of them were awesome. Between this blog and the fact that my closest friend in Calgary is a fashion buyer, I sometimes forget that clothes don't necessarily make the person. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop making fun of tragic ensembles, however. Or that I won't sometimes want to be friends with people who put their clothing together beautifully. I don't know what I'm saying, because as I mentioned earlier, my boyfriend's family drinks a lot. Right now I'm just thinking about putting on a hydrating mask (yay! Dry, disgusting, flakey hangover skin! Awesome.) and then napping on the couch while watching The Newsroom on DVD.

Also, I don't know what the DJ was smoking, but at one point, he put The Pussycat Dolls 'Don't Cha' (or however it's spelled. I have very little patience for people who purposely mangle the English language) and all the adults exchanged startled glances and reached for their drinks. There are certain songs that just seem wedding-inappropriate and 'Don't Cha' is one of them (Leonard Cohen's 'Everybody Knows' seems like a good second choice. As does The Police's 'Every Breath You Take' even though I know two misguided people who chose that as their wedding songs). I did get a laugh, however, when my boyfriend's 19-year-old brother said, "sure, if I wanted crabs." Which, again, a lot of drinking. Not as funny to you guys.

What do you consider proper wedding attire?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home