Thursday, July 14, 2005

Top Five

One of the nicest things about working from home is that I can play whatever music I like at whatever volume I care to, and no one will say anything about it. And while I know it's not exactly fashion-y, maybe this can simply be a blog about consuming. Or something like that. Point being, I just felt like sharing my top five albums at press time:

5: Melodrama Joel Kroeker
This is such a good, relaxing album that I can't figure out for the life of me why they chose 'Goodbye Jane' which is seriously the weakest link as the lead single. Had they released 'Endings,' 'The Wind,' 'Song for a Person on a Bridge' or any other song, really, Joel would totally be a household name. Because it's an excellent, excellent album. I have his 'Naive Bohemian' album as well, and this one is definitely the stronger of the two.
4: Road James Keelaghan
I had never heard of this guy until a client gave me tickets to his show in June. As someone who loves mellow folk ballads, I snapped up almost all of his albums immediately. This is an excellent album, I'm just sad that they don't have a sample of 'Captain Torres' which is my favourite song from the album. It's sad, and spooky, and all around excellent, plus it has Cyrano's last letter to Roxanne, so it's also incredibly cool. Great album.
3: Twentieth Century Blues: The Songs of Noel Coward Various
The Divine Comedy song is addictive. I've been playing it on repeat for the last few days, and I'm not tiring of it any time soon. I'm usually leery of classic/jazzy songs being redone in a modern style, but this compilation is excellent. The only song that sucks is the Shola Ama song because I loathe those breathless, cutesy deliveries. 'There Are Bad Times Just Around the Corner' is perfect for eternal pessimists like moi.
2: The Vanity Project The Vanity Project
Yes, that is Stephen Paige from The Barenaked Ladies. And yes, it is a surpremely awesome album. It's got that trademark BNL upbeat sound mixed with a bit more experimentation, and a bit more... oomph. 'Wilted Rose' is a current favourite, though it's also fun to sing along with 'So. Cal.' in the car.
1: La De Da Joel Plaskett
I had the pleasure of seeing Joel Plaskett a couple of years ago when he was playing the Khyber in Halifax (and was still called The Joel Plaskett Emergency. Also, perhaps it wasn't the Khyber. Point being, it was somewhere in Halifax, and I might just be saying 'Khyber' because the was the title of one of his albums. And I like saying 'Khyber.' Khyber, khyber, khyber, khyber.). I remember being kind of unimpressed by his live show (which I had just randomly stumbled into, so I shouldn't complain) but then I got hooked on 'Maybe We Should Just Go Home' and 'True Patriot Love' when they were released as videos a little while later. Does this have to do with anything? No, not really. Just that I can't believe how much he's improved since that show. Maybe he's still a lousy live show, but this album is beyond excellent. I love it. Even the sullent girl at >Play was all "this is a GREAT album" when I bought it. And if it makes the sullen girl happy, it will make you happy, too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jordi said...

very good blog...

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Buddy said...

Really useful information, thanks for the post.
Hochrippe Und Sauerkraut (Spareribs And Sauerkraut)

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home