Thursday, July 14, 2005

I'm not hating on Calgary

I really like watching Corner Gas because as a recent transplant from Toronto, I really emphasize with Lacy. Okay, so, Calgary is no Dog River, Saskatchewan, but it's also no Toronto (alternately, Toronto is no Calgary, either. I'm not slagging Calgary, I'm just saying that it's different). And I think what I miss about Toronto is things like Peach Berserk. I love Peach Berserk. I used to just walk into the store and gape in wonder at the artistry inside. I love the idea of customizable clothing, and I own several pieces of Peach Berserk's handiwork (sadly, this includes the Toronto skyline skirt. I panicked before the move and tore through the city buying every piece of memorabilia I could find. This is less embarrassing than the fact that I actually own Alan Thicke's moving tribute to the Skydome). They're great skirts (I only own skirts. I'm actually not a person who wears pants on a regular basis. Other than jeans, I don't think I even own any pants), and I often get complimented on them (but considering that this is the denim on denim city, I'm not sure how to interpret that). Obviously, it's not a line that suits everyone, but if you have the personality to pull it off (I don't know if I have the personality, but I'm 5'10", so my height generally helps me in the fashion department), I highly recommend it. In the twenty-first century, there are few things more delightful than customizable fashion.

Just so that you don't think I'm hating on Calgary (why is this blog turning into the Calgary vs. Toronto blog? I like this city. I just keep noticing how it's very distinct), here are two things that I adore in Calgary: the selection on the website isn't the greatest, but Twigs has an excellent selection of handmade jewelry. Here's part of what I own (I... I really love the necklaces at Twigs. Which is odd because before that I owned maybe two or three necklaces, all of which were heirlooms).



Other than Twigs, there is also the supreme Gravity Pope. Which has an excellent selection of shoes, and a great private label brand.

Okay Calgary? I'm not hating on you.

3 Comments:

Blogger marshmallard said...

I totally feel your pain! I just moved to Edmonton after four years in lovely Montreal, and all I can talk about is how much I miss it there. Meanwhile, it's not so horrible here, but everyone is getting sick of my ragging on Edmonton. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I enjoy your blog. It's really nice, for once, to read a shopping blog by a Canadian.

5:19 PM  
Blogger butasong said...

Edmonton is nice (I've only been there a few times, but it seems like a nice city, and I do like Old Strathcona). But I guess it's sort of like Calgary in that you mention Edmonton and everyone's all "oh, the mall." Which is probably more annoying than being recognized for the Stampede. You do, however, have the flagship Megatunes and Gravity Pope, and those stores are awesome. Which is funny, simply because people don't seem to get that the best stores are the ones that aren't paying astronomical rent at West Ed.

I'm glad you enjoy the blog, I've been noticing the derth of Canadian shopping blogs as well.

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anthony said...

What namely you're saying is a terrible blunder.
here

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home