Monday, July 11, 2005

4711

While I'm getting apoplectic over fragrances, I'd like to share with you the first cologne I ever bought myself.

I've had the same bottle of Chanel no. 5 since I was 14. My great uncle bought it for me in Paris, and it just reeked of Old Lady to me. I think the last time I wore it was to my junior high school graduation (yes, junior high school graduation. I know). I wasn't fond of the Chanel scent, but it did pique my interest in perfumes and colognes in general.

To be fair, I'm talking about the first cologne I bought that has an actual mythology behind it. Because I totally did the fruit body sprays and all those other hideous things in junior high. But I'm not going to think of my first cologne being some sort of sickly sweet pear-scented body spray. That just depresses me. But in the summer between grade 9 and grade 10, I did my research and looked for a cologne that would live up to the mythology behind the House of Chanel but, you know, wouldn't smell like my grandmother.

And for the entirety of my grade ten year, I wore my new favourite fragrance 4711. 4711 is the model for all Eau de Colognes today. It's why we call it Eau de Cologne, it was developed in Cologne, Germany and it's the oldest commercial cologne still being manufactured today. That's initially why I chose it (actually, I was more intrigued by Hungary Water, but I think that Crabtree and Evelyn- the only company that I know of that ever manufactured a Hungary Water scent- had discontinued it by that time), but I stayed with it because it's such a lovely scent. It's a unisex scent, with a mainly citrus scent but with hints of sandalwood and rose. It has an almost candy-like quality to it, but it's not cloying. It's a perfect summer scent, since it smells like lemonade without smelling like you spilled your drink on yourself.

I dabbed some on myself this morning, and I still can't stop surreptitiously sniffing my wrist and reminiscing about high school.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Bryce said...

It won't truly have success, I believe so.
action games | any game for free | full games | easy games | famous free games

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home